Wednesday, August 6, 2008

I Scream, You Scream

Kristen is at the point where she's going to the doctor's every week so they can check on her progress. Today was this week's day, and there really isn't anything new. There may be some dilation, but maybe not. It could be today, or it could stretch all the way out until August 23, when she'd have to be induced. (I wasn't there, but I can only imagine the look on Kristen's face when her doctor said the 23rd.)

The fact that we don't really know when it's happening has made me not put up a countdown clock like some had suggested. I mean, I could do it for the 15th, her due date, but what if it comes and goes and nothing. That "0 days" would be flashing at me every time I logged in, and that'd be no fun.

She's ready to go any time, and I'm ready, too. Of course, I'd like her to wait just one more day. Why, you ask? Why do you want your wife to have to suffer carrying around Barnabas one more day?

Let me explain.

My office is in a high-rise in downtown Chicago, and every high-rise I've ever worked in always has two "parties" for tenants each year. One, around Christmas where they break out the hot chocolate and cookies, and the other in the summer, where they offer ice cream (which is usually just a crummy ice cream sandwich).

People talk about these events as if they're the high holy days. Free cookies? Free ice cream? Where? When?

(In fact, I'm often baffled at any type of free food event downtown. Every once in a while, businesses offer some sort of giveaway -- a free small beverage, a free taco, a free scoop of ice cream -- and people flock to get the stuff. However, the lines involved are usually ridiculously long. But people are willing to wait 20, 30, even 40 minutes. I don't understand why people want to wait 40 minutes so they can get something that usually costs $2. Is your time worth so little? It's just a taco, man!)

Anyway, Kristen's building had their free food even a couple of weeks ago, and I was still waiting for mine. That is, until Monday, when walking through the lobby, I saw the signs.

"Please Join Us In The Lobby For Ice Cream This Thursday From 1 to 3 PM"

Yes! Ice cream! Free ice cream! (And free stuff that I won't have to stand in line for more than 3 minutes for!)

Of course, my ice cream dreams would crumble if Kristen would go into labor before then. So I've asked her -- nicely -- if she wouldn't mind holding off until 1:15 on Thursday. If she feels a twinge tomorrow morning, I told her to just cross her legs and let it ride for a couple of hours. I wanted her to talk to her doctor about this today, but she seemed less than enthusiastic about bringing it up, but if anyone knows anything about free ice cream, it would be a doctor, no? I mean, all that schooling has to teach you something, no?

2 comments:

Tony Thomas said...

As I read these posts, I can hear your voice in my head speaking the words, Raphe.

And I laugh.

Anonymous said...

Imagine if he HAD decided to come right at ice cream time. What would you have done? It would have been like Sophie's Choice -- the baby, or the ice cream?